Lets move on with the assembling of the Raspboy.
I decided to install 2 more buttons to be able to play games which requires more than 2 fire-buttons (almost every game beyond 8-Bit).
Now I had 2 options:
2 more GameBoy-Style buttons, or 2 smaller ones. I fond a picture of a 4-button-modded GameBoy which looked…well..kinda wrong….
OK, a 4 button Gameboy looks always wrong, but I simply did´nt like it….
So I disassembled my C64-Competition-Pro-Thingy (The one with the C64 in it) and removed 2 of the small red buttons. I mutilated another GameBoy PCB and hot-glued it to the other one so I had one PCB for all 10 Buttons.
(On the picture you see the Gameboy with the enlarged opening for the Display, the Teensy 3.1 and the mini amplifier)
Now I have to teach the Raspboy to use the buttons:
I removed the unnecessary parts of the “Main-PCB”, interrupted some of the traces, and soldered some wires on it. (Soldering something on traced is a pain).
I connected the wires with the Teensy, connected the Teensy via USB with my Macbook, uploaded the “Gamepad” script (I modified it before, because I needed 10 instead of 9 buttons) – DONE!
And its ALIVE, powered only by battery!
As I said I enlarged the Display opening in the case. The original size is good for GameBoy games, but too small for everything else. The original Display glass fits still perfectly.
But I had to get rid of the grey bezel. I could not grind it off, because I have no polishing machine. So I used a chrome polish to “polish” of the printed bezel and a car polish to get rid of most of the scratches of the chrome polish. I know that this was not the best solution but it served the purpose… 😉